Since, for most of us, our house represents the single – biggest, financial asset, doesn’t it make sense, when you decide, to sell your home, to get the best results, and when you purchase, you get the quality house, you seek and deserve? In most parts of the country, there are many options, in terms of hiring a real estate agent, to best represent you, and your needs, in the best possible way, so, it is wise, to choose smartly, and hire the best individual, for your specific needs, personality, situation, etc. Let’s review a few of the qualities to focus on.
1. Empathy: When you interview potential agents, observe closely, and see, if their presentation, is focused, clearly on you, or more general? Does the individual ask probing, insightful questions, and, then effectively listens, and learns, what you seek, and your goals, priorities, and needs? You might wonder why I list empathy before certain skills, but, it’s because, many have the skills, but fewer possess genuine empathy!
2. Marketing/ action plan: How will your house be marketed, and why? What media, vehicles, etc, might make the best differences, for the better? How will you, and the agent, work, as a team? How often will you share ideas, and how will the process go? How will potential price adjustments be determined and considered? What factors does the agent anticipate, and how will he position, you? Are you a candidate, for a house – stager, how expensive is it, and what are the benefits, etc?
3. Niche: Is this house a candidate for niche – marketing, and why? If so, what is that niche? How will the house be marketed and promoted, to best take advantage of that?
4. Strengths/ weaknesses: Avoid being overly emotional, and review, both, the strengths and weaknesses of the home and property, etc, especially compared to the competition. Emphasize the strengths, and minimize weaknesses!
5. Competitive Market Analysis: Pricing the house, right, from the start, is often the difference, between the finest, and lesser results! Many people falsely, equate, listing price, with selling price, and list the house, at too high a price! Doing so, often, hurts the final number, because, in most cases, the best results come in the first few weeks, and only intelligent pricing, does so! There are often times, when pricing lower, creates a competitive situation, and I have often, had clients, get better results, from starting lower, and attracting more buyers.
6. Integrity: It’s difficult to evaluate, but demand, an agent, with the utmost degree of genuine integrity!
Carefully examine and consider, who you choose, to hire, as your real estate agent. The better you choose, the easier the period.